Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4 medium-sized zucchinis, about 7-9 inches long
- 1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
- ½ cup finely chopped mushroom
- 1 ½ cup chunky spaghetti sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. of fresh basil, thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim the ends of each zucchini and discard. Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp in the middle but be sure to leave about 1/3 inch in the shell. Place the pulp on a plate lined with paper towels.
- In a medium-sized skillet, begin browning the ground meat over medium-high heat.
- Turn down the heat and add the mushrooms and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the sauce.
- Using another paper towel, gently press down on the zucchini pulp to remove most of the excess water add the pulp to the ground meat mixture.
- Let the mixture cook for an additional 1-2 minutes, uncovered over medium heat. Stir often.
- Place the zucchini halves on a baking sheet that has been lightly coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop the meat mixture into each boat.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes. Evenly distribute the parmesan cheese over the boats and cook for an addition 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with freshly chopped basil, if desired.
- Serve two halves per plate and consider serving alongside a piece of garlic bread.