Twice Baked Loaded Sweet Potato
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 medium-sized sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp. and 2 tsp. olive oil
- ¾ medium red onion, sliced
- 2 dashes of salt
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tsp. cumin powder
- ½ cup low-sodium, canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 oz. cooked, boneless chicken, cut into chunks
- 3 jalapeño peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes and then lightly coat each by evenly distributing 2 tsp. of the olive oil between them. Like a baked potato, wrap each in aluminum foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and let cool enough to handle. In the meantime, heat the remaining olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add ¾ of the sliced onions (set the remaining aside) and begin cooking. After one minute add 2-3 dashes of salt and the garlic cloves. Turn heat to medium and cook until the onions are tender. Stir constantly.
- Add the cooked onions and garlic to a medium-sized bowl. Remove the potatoes from their foils and gently cut each in half. Carefully scoop the pulp of each half out and place it in the bowl.
- Once all of the pulp has been added to the bowl, gently toss to incorporate the cooked onions. Add the cumin powder and drained black beans. Mix gently. 6. Spoon the pulp back into the skins and then top each with chicken, cheese, and slices of jalapeño.
- Place in the oven for an additional 5 minutes to reheat the pulp and melt the cheese.
- Serve immediately.