Tangy Jerk Chicken & Brown Rice
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup brown rice, not instant
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 8 tbsp. jerk sauce
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 20 oz. pineapple chunks, drained
- 15 oz. black beans, reduced or low sodium
- 4.5 oz. chopped green chiles
- Begin cooking the brown rice according to package directions.
- Cut the boneless, skinless chicken breast into 1-inch pieces. Add the chicken to a bowl and then add 5 tbsp. of jerk sauce. Gently work the sauce into the chicken, using your hands. Let the chicken marinade in the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash your hands, sanitize the cutting surface and knife; then dice the onion.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion. Add a small dash of salt, and cook the onions for about 5 minutes.
- To the skillet, add the diced chicken along with the marinade and cook for 3-4 minutes until the chicken begins to brown. Stir constantly. Add the pineapple chunks.
- Pour the black beans in a colander and then quickly rinse with cold water. Drain, then add the beans to the skillet.
- Quickly add to the skillet the chopped green chilies and 3 more tbsp. of the jerk sauce. Turn the heat up and bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until the chicken is tender. Stir occasionally.
- When the rice is done, serve each plate with ⅙ of the rice topped with ⅙ of the jerk chicken mixture.
- Eating more than 1 serving of this meal increases the amount of sodium consumed. Save the leftovers for the next day in order to keep your daily sodium consumption in check.