Sun-Dried Tomato and Chicken Penne Pasta
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 12 oz. rotisserie chicken, skin and bones removed
- 4 oz. sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained but keep the oil
- 2 tbsp. olive oil from the sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- ½ cup skim milk
- 1½ tsp. dried oregano
- Pinch of salt
- 1 12-14 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 8 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves, chopped
- ¼ tsp. paprika (optional)
- 8 oz. whole wheat pasta
- 3 oz. grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves
- Cook pasta to al dente according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, sauté the garlic, onion, and drained sundried tomatoes in a large frying pan for 1 minute using the oil you drained from the sun-dried tomatoes. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt, oregano, and the optional paprika. Cook on medium heat while stirring for about 2 minutes or until the onions look clear.
- Add the milk, canned tomatoes and cooked chicken to the pan and bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Remove the sauce from heat. Add the pasta to the sauce and mix well. Add the chopped baby spinach and toss gently.
- For each serving, place ¼ of the pasta on a plate and then top with a little freshly chopped basil and grated parmesan. Add a large piece of your favorite in-season melon or fruit to round out the meal.
- If the sauce is too thick, add more milk.
- This meal is a great way to use up extra cooked chicken.
- Use any unused chicken to top a salad for lunch or make a quick soup.
- Spice up this dish by adding a little crushed red pepper in step 3.