Ingredients (serves 5)
- 5 bell peppers (any color)
- 1 lb. ground meat, lean
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 14-15 oz. can diced tomatoes with chili peppers, drained
- 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
Directions (preheat oven to 350 degrees F)
- Begin cooking the rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, begin cooking the garlic, onions, and ground meat in a large pan on medium heat. This pan should be big enough to contain all the ingredients save the peppers. Cook until the meat is no longer pink. Drain the oil and discard.
- Add the can of diced tomatoes to the beef and bring to heat. Add the rice and ¾ of the tomato sauce. Stir until mixed.
- Wash and dry the bell peppers. Cut the tops off and discard the top and seeds.
- Fill the peppers with the rice and beef mixture. Pour the remaining tomato sauce on top of each pepper.
- Put the peppers on a baking dish and cover loosely with aluminum foil. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the aluminum foil, top the peppers with shredded cheese, and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- To give it more of a flair, you can add a can of black beans.
- You can increase the servings and add another pepper by adding 1 cup chopped mushrooms during step 2.
- This can easily be made using the same methods as the Unrolled Stuffed Cabbage recipe.