Stove-top Stuffed Collard Rolls
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 8 large collard green leaves
- 1/3 cup instant brown rice
- 1 lb. ground turkey burger or lean ground beef
- 1 10.75 oz. can tomato soup, condensed
- ¼ cup chopped white onions
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- Begin cooking brown rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking wash the collard greens in cold water. Repeat 2-3 times to assure all the dirt and grit is removed. Bring a large pot of water, with 1 tsp. of salt added, to a boil.
- While the water comes to a boil, carefully remove the large, thick stem from the bottom of each green, taking care not to tear the leaf.
- Add the greens to the water and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the greens are softened enough to be flexible to roll. Gently remove the greens and set aside on a paper lined plate to drain.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ground meat, the cooked brown rice, egg, 2 tbsp. of the tomato soup, and the spices. Mix gently until well blended.
- Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and then place one portion on each collard green. Gently roll the leaves up in the same manner as making a burrito and then secure with a toothpick.
- Place the rolls in a large skillet and turn the heat to medium. Pour the remaining tomato soup over the top, cover and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 35-40 minutes, stirring and basting with the liquid frequently.