Steamed Baby Bok Choy with a Garlicky Ginger Drizzle
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 bunches of baby bok choy, halved length wise, keep leaves intact
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ white onion minced
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp. water
- Steam bok choy for five minutes. For those that do not have a steamer, this can be done by placing the bok choy in a microwave safe dish and then adding 2 tbsp. of water. Cover and microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes. Also, a large deep pan can be used. Just add about four cups of water. Bring it to a boil. Place a heat resistant colander in the pan being sure the water doesn’t touch it, and then placing the bok choy in the colander. Cover and “steam” for 5 minutes.
- While the bok choy is steaming, quickly prepare the sauce for the “drizzle”. Heat the oil over medium heat in a sauce pan. Add the onion and cook, until they become translucent. Add the garlic, stirring constantly for 1 minute to prevent the garlic from burning. Add the remaining ingredients and cook until heated through. (1-2 minutes).
- Place 2 halves of the bok choy on a plate and using a spoon, drizzle the sauce over the bok choy.
- Serve this dish alongside prepared brown rice and lightly salt and peppered prepared lean protein (chicken breast, ground turkey or chicken, or pork loin, etc.)