Shepherd’s Pie with Cauliflower Topping
Ingredients (serves 6)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup ground mushrooms
- 12-14 oz. frozen peas and carrots
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup evaporated skim milk
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Pinch each of salt and pepper
Directions (Preheat oven to 350 degrees F)
- In a large frying pan, bring the olive oil to temperature over medium heat. Add the garlic and onion and cooking until they are soft (for about 2 minutes), stirring frequently to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Add the ground beef and mushrooms to the pan while stirring frequently to break the beef into small pieces. Cook until the beef is brown. Drain excess fat and discard. Add a pinch of salt and pepper (optional)
- Bring 3-4 cups of water to boil in a large sauce pan. Add the cauliflower florets, turn heat down to medium high, cover and cook until the cauliflower is tender (about 7-8 minutes). Turn the burner off. Gently drain by power the cauliflower into a colander. Add back to pan and allow the steam to escape and excess water to dry tossing gently. Add the butter, shredded cheese (optional) and a pinch of salt and pepper. Begin mashing with a fork. Once the cheese and butter have melted, add the evaporated milk and pinch of salt and pepper (optional). Whip the mixture with a hand held whisk or fork to incorporate the milk.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, microwave a bag of frozen peas and carrots according to the package directions.
- Place the ground beef mixture in the bottom of a 13x9x2 baking dish, mix in the peas and carrots. Top with the mashed cauliflower.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the topping is browned.
- For those that want to lower the carbohydrate level, consider switching the peas and carrots to a lower carb vegetable like broccoli or green beans.