Saucy Beef and Noodles
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 lb. very lean ground beef
- 8 oz. whole wheat egg noodles
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup frozen carrots
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. + 2 tsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves minced or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 4 oz. canned mushroom slices, drained
- 1 ½ cups skim milk
- In a large skillet, begin browning the ground beef over medium heat. While the meat is browning, in a microwave-safe dish add the peas and carrots and microwave according to package directions.
- In a large sauce pan, cook the noodles according to package directions. Once the vegetables and noodles are cooked, drain and set aside.
- Once the meat is cooked through (do not drain the fat), add the olive oil, onion powder, and pepper then gently mix into the beef. Sprinkle flour over the beef mixture, turn the heat down to medium and toss to cook for an addition one minute. Whisk in the milk, mushrooms, salt, garlic and the bay leaves (optional) then turn the heat up to medium high.
- Whisking gently, bring the mixture to a low boil and then turn heat back down to medium. Cook an additional 2 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Add the noodles and vegetables to meat sauce and then toss to coat.
- Serve 1/4th of the mixture on a plate or a bowl.
- Any type of lean meat or poultry can be used in this dish.
- In a pinch, used canned vegetables. Just drain them and add in step 2.
- Instead of noodles, you can put the meat and sauce over instant mashed potatoes.