Quinoa Protein Bowl
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 oz. green chilies
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice from 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 15 oz. can of low sodium whole corn (drained)
- 1 15-16 oz. can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 medium red onion (sliced very thin)
- 12 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a medium sized pan. Let it boil for one minute while stirring constantly. Turn the heat to low, cover and let the quinoa continue to cook until the water is absorbed -- for about 12-15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the dressing by draining the green chili juice into a large mixing bowl. Cut up the green chilies and add them to the mixing bowl along with the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, chili powder and salt. Whisk the dressing together.
- In a large bowl, add the beans, onions, tomatoes, corn and toss gently. Add the dressing and stir gently to combine.
- Once the quinoa has cooled (warm to touch, not hot), gently mix it and the chopped cilantro into the large bowl with the beans and corn.
- There is no need to add chicken or meat because the quinoa and beans provide a good amount of protein and have fiber to help you feel satisfied. But if you want more bulk, add some of your favorite low calorie, fresh vegetables like broccoli, cucumbers, and/or radishes.
- Make a double batch of quinoa and use half of it in another dish later in the week.