Pineapple Cashew Chicken
Macros / Serving Size
Protein: 30.99 g | Fat: 16.51 g | Carb: 54.13 g
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp. olive or canola oil, divided
- 8 oz. pineapple unsweetened pineapple chunks (reserve juice)
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tbsp. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp. brown sugar, packed
- 2 medium zucchini squash, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- ½ white onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and sliced
- 3 tbsp. water
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper.
- 1/3 cup dry roasted cashews, unsalted
- 1 ½ cups instant brown rice and needed water
- In a deep dish place the chicken and add 1 tbsp of the oil, the reserved pineapple juice, sauces, sugar and spices. Gently toss to mix and coat the pieces. Set aside for 15-20 minutes to marinate.
- While the chicken is marinating, wash and prepare the produce per the ingredients’ description.
- Begin cooking the rice according to package directions.
- In a large medium-sized skillet over medium heat, bring the remaining oil to temperature. Add the pieces of chicken a little at a time to begin browning. Reserve the marinade. Add the water (2-3 tbsp.) to the skillet to prevent burning and sticking. Brown the chicken on all sides and then add the fresh produce with a dash of salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat to medium-high heat and then add ½ the reserved marinade. Cook tossing constantly to prevent burning. Once the chicken is cooked through, add the remaining marinade, cashews, and pineapple. Turn the heat back down to medium, cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the vegetables are to the desired level of tenderness.
- Serve by placing ¼ of the cooked brown rice in a bowl and top with ¼ of the chicken and vegetables. Garnish with green onions if desired.
Nutrients / Serving Size
Fiber: 3.48 g | Sodium: 570.97 mg | Sat. Fat: 2.46 g