Not Your Run of the Mill Nachos
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 6 oz. boneless chicken breast
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 1 large bag whole grain tortilla chips
- 8 oz. provolone cheese slices, torn into pieces
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Place the sliced eggplant rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle each round with a little salt. Let them rest for about 45 minutes or until all the liquid has been extracted. Wipe off the water and salt.
- Preheat grill to about 425 degrees F or set to medium-high heat.
- Butterfly the chicken breast by cutting it in half horizontally to make it half as thick. Place the chicken in a bowl and drizzle with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Toss gently so all the chicken is lightly coated with oil.
- Place the chicken on one half the grill and flip after 3 minutes.
- Coat a loosely crumbled piece of aluminum foil with 1 tbsp. of olive oil and using tongs, carefully and quickly rub the foil over half the grill to coat it with olive oil. Quickly place the sliced eggplant and tomatoes on this half of the grill. Close the lid and let cook for 2 minutes.
- Flip the vegetables and check the chicken for doneness. The chicken’s temperature should be 165 degrees F. Remove the chicken and the vegetables from the grill and place onto a plate.
- Pour the chips onto a baking sheet and spread out to evenly distribute. Cut the chicken and eggplant into bite-sized pieces and then sprinkle evenly over the chips.
- Place the eggplant and tomatoes evenly over the chicken and then cover with the cheese.
- Place the pan onto the grill and cover. After about a minute, check to see if the cheese is melted. Once the cheese is melted, remove the pan (using an oven mitt) from the grill.
- Sprinkle chopped, fresh basil over the nachos and serve.
- These nachos can also be prepared in the oven by roasting the vegetables and pan frying the chicken (or using leftover cooked chicken).