Grilled Tuna and Watermelon Salsa
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 4 oz. steaks of fresh or frozen tuna, thawed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 cups of watermelon, diced
- 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
- ½ English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2½ tbsp. red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced and seeded (optional)
- 1-2 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of ½ lime
- ¼ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- Pat dry each tuna steak. Lightly brush each steak on both sides with olive oil and evenly sprinkle the chili powder on both sides of each steak. Set aside.
- Bring the grill to a very high temperature. While the grill is heating, make the salsa by adding each of the remaining ingredients into a medium-sized bowl in the order listed. Toss gently and set aside.
- Once the grill has reached a high temperature, place the steaks in the hottest section of the grill. To seal in the juices, sear the steaks for 90 seconds on each side.
- Remove the steaks from the high heat and to a cooler section of the grill. Cook for an additional 6-8 minutes, with the grill covered, checking once to see if done. The fish should begin to flake when tested with a fork and the center should still be slightly pink.
- Quickly remove the tuna from the grill and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Place one steak on a plate and top with the watermelon salsa.
- Consider serving this entrée alongside a serving of an ancient grain such as farro or on top of whole grain tortilla chips.