Grilled Chicken Breast Cacciatore
Created by Chef Robert Irvine
Ingredients (Serves 8)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 medium onions, sliced
- 4 green bell peppers, sliced julienne
- 4 red bell peppers, sliced julienne
- 3 cups white mushrooms, cleaned and quarter-cut (about 1 lb.)
- 6 large ripe tomatoes, large diced
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3 tbsp. chopped shallots (about 3 to 4)
- 3 tbsp. chopped garlic (about 7 to 8 cloves)
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped (about ½ bunch)
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped (about ½ bunch)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 4-5 oz. boneless chicken breasts
For the Polenta
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- Grated Parmesan
- Heat oil in a large saucepot and sauté onions, peppers and mushrooms until onions begin to turn translucent and peppers begin to soften.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato juice, shallots, garlic, basil and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let simmer 45 minutes until medium thickness.
- Preheat a grill to high.
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Grill on both sides until cooked through.
- Arrange on serving platter and spoon sauce around.
- Serve with a side of polenta (as you would mashed potatoes), and remaining sauce in a gravy boat.
- Sauté onion in butter until softened.
- Add water and stir in polenta.
- Cook on low heat, stirring often, for about 40 minutes until tender.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan.