Greek Salad with Fennel
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 Small lemon, juiced or about ¼ cup pre-packaged lemon juice
- 1 Tsp. sea salt
- Dash of garlic powder
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ Tsp. dried oregano
- Coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1½ cups of sliced fennel, about 1 medium sized bulb with leafy sprigs
- 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ Red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup of whole pitted Kalamata olives
- 3/4 cup cucumbers, sliced
- ¾ cup of cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium-sized shallot, thinly sliced
- Prepare the dressing first to allow the flavors to blend. Use a fork to combine the lemon juice, sea salt, garlic powder, red wine vinegar and oregano.
- Pour the olive oil into the mixture slowly while whisking. Add more sea salt to taste along with the freshly ground coarse black pepper.
- Slice about ¼ of the feta and about 1 teaspoon of the fennel’s leafy sprigs and whisk into the dressing allowing the feta to crumble and set aside to allow the flavors to infuse.
- Remove the fennel sprigs from the fennel bulb and set aside. Slice off and remove the bottom of the fennel bulb so that the leaves peel away like the layers of an onion. Slice the layered pieces of the fennel bulb into large matchstick size slices.
- Combine the sliced fennel bulb with Romaine lettuce, red bell pepper, olives, cherry tomatoes, cucumber and shallot.
- Whisk the dressing and drizzle over the salad and toss gently to coat well. Crumble the remaining feta and sprinkle over the salad and toss lightly to combine.
- Use a few fennel sprigs to garnish the salad and serve immediately. Use the remaining dressing according to taste.
- Serve with warm sliced pita bread or flat bread and use any remaining dressing as a dipping sauce!