On the Go Instant Oatmeal
Ingredients (Serves 12)
- 6 cups of plain instant oatmeal (in the bulk container)
- 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup dried fruit without adder sugar such as raisins, cranberries, apricots, apples, etc.
- Use any combination of dried fruit that is desired, or just use one type. Cut the fruit to be the size or a little larger than a raisin and measure to amount called for in the recipe. If using walnut halves, crush them so they are just a little smaller.
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. Transfer to an air-tight container.
- To prepare, scoop about 3/4 cup of the mixture into a microwave safe bowl or mug and add 1/2 to 2/3 cup of water (or however much you find you need to get your desired consistency), and mix well. Microwave on high for 60 seconds and let stand for one minute to cool and thicken before eating.
- If using rolled oats instead of quick oats, the cooking time may need to be increased by 30 seconds. Being with 60 and stir, then continue for 30 seconds and let stand.
- Store it in an airtight container and use it within 12 weeks.
- Before scooping out your servings, make sure to gently shake the mix as contents may have settled.
- To increase the protein content and add a little flavor, consider using vanilla flavored whey protein powder instead of the nonfat powdered milk. Measure out enough to equal 12 servings, per the protein powder directions. Use protein powder that provides 18-20 grams per serving.
- Add a little sweetness by adding stevia or honey after cooking, if desired.
- Use this mix when you are traveling, packed in an airtight container or a sturdy re-closable bag. Measure out the number of servings to cover the days of your travel. This can be heated up in the room using a coffee mug. If no microwave is available, use the coffee maker in the room to heat the water and pour it over the dry mix. Cover and let it sit for 3-5 minutes.