- 3 cups low-fat or fat-free chicken broth
- 2 3/4 cup (16 oz) lightly packed frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat (1 percent) milk
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all vegetables with the chicken broth and thyme in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer 2 1/2 cups of the vegetable mixture to a food processor or blender, and process until smooth.
- Add the milk, flour, salt and cayenne pepper, and continue processing until well blended.
- Return the processed vegetables to those remaining in the saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the soup is thick and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Yields: 8 Cups
Calories: 140 (1 cup)