Chef Robert Irvine's: Baked Ziti
Created by Chef Robert Irvine
Ingredients (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade, and minced
- 1 29-32 oz. can crushed red tomatoes in puree
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh basil, plus about 6 small sprigs for garnish
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1 lb. dried ziti pasta
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- Heat canola oil in a saute pan over medium heat and add onion and garlic. Saute until the onions become translucent. Add tomatoes, parsley, basil, and Italian seasoning. Cover and let simmer about 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Bring a pot of water to boiling for the pasta. Add salt and pasta and boil until pasta is al dente – about 10 minutes.
- Drain pasta well stir into pot of sauce. Transfer to a baking dish and top with cheeses. Bake until cheese is melted.