Breaded Pork Cutlets and Sauerkraut Potatoes
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 4 oz. slices of boneless pork loin chops
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ cup of skim milk
- 1 ½ cup of whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 3 medium-sized baking potatoes
- ½ diced onion
- 3 tsp. minced garlic, divided
- 12 oz. evaporated skim milk
- ¼ cup strong brewed coffee, cold
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. flour
- 2 bay leaves (optional)
- 1 cup sauerkraut
- 12-16 oz. bag frozen broccoli
- 4 oz. shredded pepper jack cheese (optional)
- Wash and pat dry the potatoes. Cut each into large bite size chunks leaving the peal on. Place them in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with cold water and set aside.
- Place one piece of the loin on a cutting board, cover with plastic wrap and gently pound using a meat tenderizer or the side of a can of vegetables to flatten. Flip the loin and gently pound on the other side until the piece ¼ inch thick. Set aside and repeat with the remaining three pieces.
- Whisk together the egg whites and skim milk together in a shallow dish. Dip each chop in the egg wash and place on a plate. Lightly salt and pepper both sides of the chops. In a large frying pan, bring 2 tbsp. of oil to temperature over medium heat. While the oil is coming to temperature, dip each chop in the bread crumbs, gently patting to assure the crumbs adhere and the chops are lightly covered. Place the chops one by one in the heated pan. Turn the heat to medium high and cook for 3 minutes. Add 1 tbsp. of water. Flip the chops and cook for an additional 3 minutes. When the pork reaches 145 degrees F, remove from the pan and cover them to rest and keep warm. Remove the pan from the heat to cool.
- While the pork is cooking drain the potatoes, add 1 tsp. of the minced garlic, the onions, salt, sauerkraut, and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Toss to mix well. Add 2 tbsp. of water. Cover and microwave for 12 minutes. Remove and set aside. Cook the frozen broccoli according package directions.
- Scrape the bottom of the pan, add the evaporated skim milk, 2 tsp. of the minced garlic and the bay leafs. Turn the heat up to medium high. Quickly mix the flour into the cold brewed coffee and apple cider until there are no lumps and drizzle into then while stirring. Once the mixture comes to a gentle boil, cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Plate the meal by placing one pork chop on the plate along with ¼ of the potatoes and broccoli (sprinkle ¼ of the cheese over the broccoli if desired). Drizzle the gravy over the pork chop. Serve this alongside ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce. Try dipping the chops in the applesauce for an interesting flavor.