Black Eyed Pea Tuna Salad
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 2 cans (14 or 15 oz.) low-sodium black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans (5oz) of tuna, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, cored and diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 medium English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, thinly sliced
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. plus 1 tsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. sugar (optional)
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 20-24oz Leafy field green mix
- In a large bowl combine all vegetables (except the avocado), cheese, and minced garlic. Mix gently. Once well mixed, fold in the avocado, cilantro and tuna.
- In a small mixing bowl, add the oil and vinegar along with the spices and sugar (if using) and whisk well. Drizzle the dressing over the black eyed pea mixture and toss gently to saturate the dressing throughout.
- Place ¼ leafy green mixture on a plate and top with one cup of the black eyed pea salad. If desired, sprinkle apple cider vinegar on the greens. Repeat for the three remaining servings.
- Mix any remaining black eyed peas in a salad or salsa. Cover and refrigerate and consider serving as a snack with a few tortilla chips.
- Although the salad can be served immediately, it’s best to cover and refrigerate for at least two hours or overnight as this enhances the flavor.
- If holding overnight, do not add the avocado or tuna. Instead, cut and dice the avocado and add with the drained tuna just before serving.
- Omit the tuna according to your own taste preferences.