Baby Portobello “Pizza” bites
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 12-16 medium to large whole baby portobello mushrooms
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped basil leaves (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Gently clean the mushrooms with a damp paper towel. Remove the steams and set aside.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Mix well.
- Dice the mushroom stems and add ½ to ¾ cup into the tomato sauce. Discard the remaining stems or save for another use.
- Gently spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps and place the mushrooms on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Place the mushrooms in the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Quickly sprinkle the cheese over the mushrooms and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes, or until the cheese melts is bubbly.
- Remove the mushrooms from the oven and garnish with fresh basil, if desired. Let set for 5 minutes before serving.
Here's a printer friendly version of this recipe.