‘WE HONOR AND REMEMBER’: Commissaries observe the sacrifices of the fallen by delivering a vital benefit to military community
FORT LEE, Va. – As America remembers the sacrifices of fallen service members during Memorial Day, the Defense Commissary Agency is taking this time to redouble its efforts in serving the military, the agency director said.
“Memorial Day reminds us that we can never forget the sacrifices of our military members who paid the ultimate price in service of our country,” said Bill Moore, DeCA director and CEO. “On this day, we rededicate our efforts to be THE grocery provider of choice for our eligible patrons – delivering a vital benefit exclusively for our military community and their families.”
Memorial Day is considered a personal observation for the men and women of DeCA because so many have a connection with the military community they serve, said Marine Sgt. Maj. Michael R. Saucedo, senior enlisted advisor to the agency director.
“Many of our commissary workforce – nearly 65 percent – have direct ties to the military as spouses and other family members, reservists, military retirees and veterans,” Saucedo said. “So for us, this day is personal and reminds us that we owe our military communities our best as we deliver their benefit.”
Saucedo encourages commissary patrons to access the DeCA website and check out the Savings Center for current promotions, featured recipes, “Your Everyday Savings” items, the current sales flyer, commissary store brands and digital coupons with the Commissary Rewards Card.
The following sales promotions offer more opportunities to save just in time for Memorial Day:
- Military Appreciation Month Sidewalk Sales. Stateside commissaries continue to hold weekend sidewalk sales, with many scheduled sometime between now and May 31, featuring extra savings on a variety of everyday items. As a bonus, over 60 Commissary Store Brand items will be offered with average savings of 20 percent over already low prices. Selection and sale dates vary by store and event dates are subject to change. Patrons can check their store’s web page for sale dates and hours or talk to their store manager for more details or updates. Overseas stores may have their own special sales based on what they have on hand.
- “Celebrate the Savings.” Commissary customers can get $25 off their next shopping trip when they buy $75 in participating Procter and Gamble (P&G) products and scan their Commissary Rewards Card at checkout. Qualifying purchases must be made in a single transaction through June 13. The $25-off digital coupon will be added to their rewards card and must be redeemed by June 30.
- Savings on children favorites. The commissary is offering savings on select items for our younger customers: Freedom’s Choice juices; Yoo-hoo Cartons – 21 percent savings; Hawaiian Punch – 18 percent savings; Freedom’s Choice Mac-N-Cheese – 15 percent savings; Motts Apple Juice – 15 percent savings; and Caprisun – 10 percent savings. Savings available May 24 - June 6.
- Deals on snacks. Check out your commissary to save on the following: Jollytime Popcorn and Soda – 46 percent savings; Ritz Crackers – 30 percent savings; Pringles and Hutches – 29 percent savings; Ritz Chips – 20 percent savings; Pace Salsa – 21 percent savings; and Cheez-Its – 20 percent savings. Savings available May 24 - June 6.
- Cat treats. Don’t forget your pets: Purina Cat Treats – 25 percent savings. Savings available May 24 - June 6.
- Barbecue savings. Commissary customers can grab savings while they last on the following items: Ziploc Storage Bags – 53 percent savings; Kingsford Charcoal Lighter Fluid – 37 percent savings; Dixie Bowls and Plates – 36 percent savings; Kings Hawaiian Rolls – 28 percent savings; Bush Beans – 24 percent savings; Heinz Relish, Pickles, Vinegar and Mario Olives – 20 percent savings; and Sparkling Ice – 10 percent savings. Savings available May 24 - June 6.
- Special Memorial Day promotions. Check out these special industry promotions in time for Memorial Day:
- Mini loaf of French bread (May 25-31) – check store availability
- Boar’s Head new Pitchcraft slow-smoked turkey breast and American cheese (May 26 - June 1). Save $1 per pound where Boar’s Head meats and cheeses are available. While supplies last
- Super Soda Sale – Coca Cola, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper and Canada Dry. Save an average of 44 percent (May 27 - 31)
- Fresh meat savings through Power Box purchases. Commissary customers can save up to an additional 25 percent on the following beef and pork packages. Check with your meat department to learn more about these sizzling offers:
- Tailgate Special Power Box offers about 19 pounds of different cuts of beef and pork
- Economy Power Box offers about 15 pounds of different cuts of beef and pork
- Healthy Alternative Power Box offers about 16 pounds of different cuts of beef and pork
- Fix it and Forget It Power Box offers about 15 pounds of different cuts of beef
- Organic meat savings. Deal of the Week promotions will be available in stateside stores, including Alaska and Hawaii. Stores will be promoting organic tenderloins, ribeye and striploins while quantities last.
- Commissary Store Brand promotions. Throughout May, stateside stores only, Freedom’s Choice products will be on sale while supplies last: 48-ounce ice cream varieties; 4-pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast; 16-ounce bottled dressings; and 12-ounce Pasta Shells & Cheese and Mac & Cheese Deluxe Dinners.
“As we observe Memorial Day, we at DeCA can do no less than provide value and convenience, while delivering superior customer service and the items patrons want at the best possible savings,” Moore said. “We hold ourselves accountable and are committed to exceeding our patron’s expectations as we deliver their commissary benefit.”
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.