Want to save money while you start your new year's resolution to be healthier? Try your commissary
FORT LEE, Va. – With January being Family Fit Lifestyle Month, service members and their families can kick start their new year’s resolution to be healthier by saving money on nutritious items at their commissary.
“A healthy lifestyle is a combination of a tough fitness plan and a healthy diet,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director. “This is achievable in 2020 and your commissary provides the ingredients to do so.
“The commissary makes it easy to find the right foods that are right for you. We have various services, including nutrition guide recipes and thinking outside the box recipes,” she added.
January sales promotions arrive just in time for the expanded patronage of disabled veterans, designated caregivers, Purple Heart recipients, and POWs who were granted exchange and commissary shopping privileges on Jan. 1.
Commissary customers can save even more time and money by visiting the online customer portal, MyCommissary. The portal makes it easy to access your Commissary Rewards Card account and see the current sales flyer.
Patrons are reminded to check the ends of aisles in their store for themed items with extra low pricing. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store for details or visit their store page to verify what’s available. Here are a few January promotions to consider for extra commissary savings:
- Special Olympics. Customers who purchase $30 of participating Procter & Gamble products will receive $5 off their next commissary visit (credit loaded to your Commissary Rewards Card). P&G is marking its 40th Special Olympics promotion by donating $75,000 to Special Olympics. A P&G brandSAVER containing 43 coupons worth more than $85 will be available at stores. Also, P&G will deploy 68 digital coupons worth more than $171 in connection with the Commissary Rewards Card. This promotion ends Jan. 19.
- Big Game, Big Savings. Kraft Heinz Company will be offering $3 or $5 coupon deals on participating brands throughout January. Participating brands: Heinz Ketchup, Mustard and Pickles, Grey Poupon Mustard, A1 and Heinz 57 Steak Sauce, Bagel Bites, Delimex, TGI Friday’s Frozen Entrees, Kraft Natural Cheese, Cracker Barrel Cheese, Kraft Grated Parmesan, Kraft Singles, Kraft Dinners, Kraft Mayo, Miracle Whip, Taco Bell products, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Oscar Mayer Cold Cuts/Hot Dogs/Bacon, Lunchable Lunch Combos, Velveeta Loaf and Slices, Maxwell House Coffee, Gevalia Coffee, Planters Nuts. This promotion ends Feb. 2.
- Game Day Super Soda Promotion. Stock up on soda for the big game. For a limited time, save up to 35 percent on all 12-packs at the commissary. This promotion begins Jan. 27 and ends Feb. 2.
- Big Game Sweepstakes. Nabisco and Coca-Cola have teamed up to bring commissary patrons the opportunity to win commissary and exchange gift cards ranging from $50 to $250. Look for the Nabisco and Coca-Cola football-themed displays in your commissary for more details. This promotion ends Jan. 31.
- Warming Up America. To learn more about Progresso’s annual “Warming Up America” sale, look for the General Mills store displays featuring high-value coupons and giveaways. This promotion ends Feb. 2.
- Family Fit Joint Text To Win. One hundred commissary customers could each win a $25 gift card from sponsored by several product manufacturers in the “My Military Savings.com Text-To-Win” promotion. Look for the posters and displays in participating commissaries for more details. This promotion ends Feb 2.
- Return to School - Box Tops for Education (BTFE). Commissary customers can now use the new BTFE app or mobile site to scan their receipt, and the earnings will be instantly credited to the school of your choice’s account. Look for in-store lunch box displays as well as the school bus displays for savings, coupons and products. This promotion ends Feb. 2.
- Oats Across America Sweepstakes. Quaker Oats presents the “Oats Across America – Our Oats. Your Creation” sweepstakes. Submit your favorite Quaker Oats recipe for a chance to win daily prizes. The recipes that best demonstrate nutritious and unique ways to use Quaker Oats will be featured in their Oats Across America Cookbook. Details for submitting your recipes will be on in-store Quaker Oats displays. This promotion begins Jan. 20 and ends Feb. 2.
- Colgate Magnus Cards Program. In support of Special Olympics and cognitive needs awareness month, Magnus Mode and Colgate have teamed up to help individuals living with cognitive needs complete daily tasks that may otherwise be difficult without instruction and assistance. Look for the in-store Colgate displays for more information on this promotion and how to enter to win an HDTV. This promotion begins Jan. 20 and ends Feb. 2.
- Touch Down of Savings. Look for the in-store General Mills displays for coupons and game-day recipes for participating brands such as Chex Mix, Old El Paso, Totino’s and more. This promotion begins Jan. 20 and ends Feb. 2.
- Commissary beef and pork savings. Check with your meat department for the commissary beef and pork savings:
- Fall Favorites Power Box – Offers a 25 percent savings to our patrons on select cuts of beef
- Whole Sub Primal Beef Sold at Cost – customers can save 14 to 26 percent on sub primal beef. Cut upon request for free
- Healthy Alternative Power Buy Box – Save 29 percent on 20 pounds of select cuts of lean beef and pork
- Economy Power Buy Box – Save 31 percent on 15 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.