Potandon Produce recalls Green Giant Fresh yellow and white onions over Salmonella concerns
Potandon Produce, LLC is voluntarily recalling Green Giant Fresh yellow and white onions shipped between July 15 and Aug. 22, imported from Chihuahua, Mexico and supplied by Keeler Family Farms, because they may be contaminated with Salmonella, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent Nov. 17.
Salmonella can be potentially life-threatening, especially to infants, older people, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems. It can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella’s most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever. Salmonella’s symptoms usually develop between eight to 72 hours after consumption of the contaminated food and last about four to seven days.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, chief, public health division, DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has recalled or withdrawn products in its inventory, they are immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products are affected by this recall:
- Green Giant Fresh whole yellow onions, 2 lb bag: UPC 60580600120-8 with:
- lot number 42543-2 and Julian date code RA201
- lot number 42600-3 and Julian date codes RA208 and RA209
- lot number 42542-2 and Julian date code RA201
- lot number 42542-5 and Julian date codes RA197 and RA202
- Green Giant Fresh whole yellow onions, 3 lb bag: UPC 60580600123-9 with:
- lot number 42543-2 and Julian date codes RA201, RA203, and RA204
- lot number 42542-5 and Julian date code RA202
- lot number 149007
- lot number 119008
- Green Giant Fresh whole yellow onions, 5 lb bag: UPC 60580600170-3 with:
- lot number 42543-2 and Julian date codes RA200, RA201, RA202, RA203, and RA204
- lot number 42542-2 and Julian date code RA203
- lot number 049008
- Green Giant Fresh whole white onions, 2 lb bag: UPC 60580600218-2 with:
- lot number 42542-3 and Julian date codes RA196, RA 197, RA200, RA201, and RA202
- lot number 139008
No other Green Giant Fresh products or Green Giant canned or frozen vegetable products are affected by this recall. Anyone who has these onions on hand or has used them as a dish ingredient should not consume them.
Customers should return this product to the commissary of purchase for a full refund.
Consumers with questions may Potandon Produce at (800) 637-8084, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. MT or visit the website at www.potandon.com.