Frozen shrimp recalled over Salmonella concerns
Avanti Frozen Foods Pvt. Ltd. is voluntarily recalling certain consignments and sizes of frozen cooked shrimp because the products may be contaminated with Salmonella, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent June 25.
Salmonella can be potentially life-threatening, especially to infants, older people, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems. It can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella’s most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever. Salmonella’s symptoms usually develop between eight to 72 hours after consumption of the contaminated food and last about four to seven days.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, Chief, Public Health Division, DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has recalled or withdrawn products in its inventory, they are immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products are affected by this recall:
- Censea frozen cooked, peeled and deveined, tail off shrimp, 2 lbs: Product codes 140313D, 140314D, 140315D and 140316D with expiration dates of May 7 – 10, 2022
- Chicken of the Sea frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined, tail on shrimp with cocktail sauce, 16 ounces: Product codes 91AS/02UN/216 and 91AS/03UN/217 with expiration dates of May 1-2, 2022
- Honest Catch frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined, tail on shrimp, 1 lb: Product code 3150-GFF with expiration date of Nov. 9, 2022
- CWNO frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined, tail on shrimp, 7 lbs: Product codes 91AS/06UN/220D, 91AS/07UN/221C, 91AS/23HN/206B and 91AS/24HN/207 with expiration dates of Jan. 23-24, 2022 and Feb. 6 – 7, 2022
- Hannaford frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined, tail on shrimp, 1 lb: Product codes AVF 30920 EF and AVF 31020 EF with expiration dates of Oct. 25-26, 2022
- Waterfront Bistro frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined, tail on shrimp with cocktail sauce, 16 ounces: Product codes 20305 and 20306 with expiration dates of Oct 30 – 31, 2022
- Open Acres frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined, tail on shrimp, 1 lb: Product codes 02572 0307 11 and 02572 0308 11 with expiration dates of Nov. 2 – 3, 2022
- 365 frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined, tail on shrimp, 2 lbs: Product codes 91AS/29HN/212B and 91AS/30HN/213 with expiration dates of April 29 – 30, 2022
- Meijer frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined tail on shrimp, 1 lb: Product codes 29720 49982, 29820 49982, 30220 50736, 30320 50736, 30520 49486, 30620 49486, 30920 50737 and 31020 50737 with expiration dates of Oct. 22-23, 27-28, 30-31, 2022 and Nov. 3-4, 2022
Products not bearing these codes are not affected by this recall. There have been 6 reports of Salmonella related illness associated with the product in this recall.
Customers should return this product to the commissary of purchase for a full refund.
Questions about this recall can be directed to Avanti Frozen Foods at +914023310260 or +914023310261, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., GMT+5.5.