Frozen shrimp recalled over Salmonella concerns
Kader Exports is voluntarily recalling various sizes of their frozen cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent Aug. 13. The imported shrimp products were tested by the FDA and found to contain Salmonella, possibly due to cross contamination.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, Chief, Public Health Division, DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has recalled or withdrawn products in its inventory, they are immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products are affected by this recall:
- Aqua Star Reserve Cooked, Peeled and Deveined, Tail-on Shrimp, 1 lb., 26/30 shrimp per pound: Product codes 03467 0035 02, 03467 0036 02, and 03467 0037 02
- Aqua Star Reserve Cooked, Peeled and Deveined, Tail-on Shrimp, 1 lb., 31/40 shrimp per pound: Product codes 03467 0035 02, 03467 0036 02 and 03467 0037 02
- Censea Cooked, Tail Off Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined, 32 ounces, 31/40 shrimp per pound: Product codes 26 0 007 D, 26 0 008 D, and 26 0 009 D
- Censea Cooked, Tail Off Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined, 32 ounces, 41/50 shrimp per pound: Product code 26 0 008 D
- Censea Cooked, Tail Off Shrimp, Peeled and Deveined, 32 ounces, 61/70 shrimp per pound: Product code 26 0 009 D
Salmonella can be potentially life-threatening, especially to infants, older people, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems. It can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella’s most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever. Salmonella’s symptoms usually develop between eight to 72 hours after consumption of the contaminated food and last about four to seven days.
There have been no reports of illness. Only the products bearing the above codes are affected by this recall.
Questions about this recall can be directed to Kader Exports at +91-022-62621004 or +91-022-62621009, Monday through Friday from 10:00 hrs. to 1600 hrs. GMT+5.5 (12:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. EDT)