Fall savings: October promotions offer discounts for Halloween, Oktoberfest, turkeys and more
FORT LEE, Va. – Falling leaves, falling temperatures, and falling prices at the commissary. It must be fall.
“Get ready for the fall celebrations,” said Army Command Sgt. Maj. Tomeka N. O’Neal, the Defense Commissary Agency’s senior enlisted advisor to the DeCA director. “They’ll be here before you know it! The commissary can help you save while you treat the ghosts and ghouls of Halloween and prepare for Thanksgiving without missing a beat.”
Throughout October, commissaries will offer discounts beyond everyday savings. Patrons are also advised to check their stores’ “end of the aisle” for themed items with extra low pricing. Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers should check with their store for details or visit their store page to verify what’s available. Here are a few areas to consider for commissary savings:
- Exclusive savings on select frozen turkeys. Commissaries worldwide will offer limited weekly quantities of frozen turkeys at 48¢ per pound. Plan ahead for your holiday meals and take advantage of these special seasonal savings while supplies last. Weekly available quantities of frozen turkeys are expected to increase closer to Thanksgiving. Check your commissary for brand availability. Promotion runs Oct. 1-Dec. 31
- ‘Text-To-Win’ $25 gift card. In honor of our veterans MyMilitarySavings.com is sponsoring a “Text-to-Win” opportunity for a $25 commissary or exchange gift card. Commissary customers can find details at the commissary. Through this program a $2,500 donation will go to the Fisher House Foundation, which builds comfort homes where military and veterans’ families can stay free of charge, while a loved one is in the hospital. Contest ends Nov. 3.
- Energy Action Month. The commissary is offering savings on high-efficiency (HE) or energy-efficient products. By conserving energy, these products benefit the environment and generate savings in energy costs. Promotion runs Oct. 1-31.
- Halloween Costume Contest. “Trick or Treat! Win a Turkey to Eat!” Put on your Halloween costume, take a picture and submit it on one of the DeCA social media channels. Participants must identify their commissary with the submission of their picture. One entry per person. There will be one winner per commissary. Winners will be awarded a 14 to 16 pound turkey. Check social media and commissaries.com for more details. Winners will be announced on or before Nov. 15. Contest runs Oct. 1-31.
- Oktoberfest. Commissaries worldwide are continuing to offer promotions on German products in honor of Oktoberfest, including chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard, red cabbage and rich German coffee.
- Commissary beef and pork savings. The commissary has added to the beef and pork savings package. Check with your meat department to learn more about these sizzling offers:
- Fall Favorites Power Box – Offers a 25% savings to our patrons on select cuts of beef
- Whole Sub Primal Beef Sold at Cost – customers can save 14% to 26% on sub primal beef. Cut upon request for free
- Healthy Alternative Power Buy Box – Save 29% on 20 pounds of select cuts of lean beef and pork
- Economy Power Buy Box – Save 31% on 15 pounds of select cuts of beef and pork
- Commissary Brands. Save 45% or more on over 100 commissary brand items – Freedom’s Choice, HomeBase and their partner products: Tippy Toes, Top Care, Pure Harmony and Full Circle. Check the shelves for great deals on paper towels, dry dog food, cold and flu medicine, diapers, frozen fruit smoothies, shrimp, frozen and organic fruit, canned beans, tomato sauces, pasta dinners, trash bags, sour cream and frozen vegetables. Sale runs Oct. 7-20.
- Fall into Savings Event. General Mills is helping usher in fall by providing high value coupons that can be found on their displays throughout the commissary. Displays run Oct. 7-20.
- Unilever “DeCA/Exchange Cares.” Unilever will distribute 200,000 coupon flyers to commissaries for its second annual promotion. The coupons in these flyers were created exclusively for commissary and exchange patrons. Unilever will also donate $1 for each coupon redeemed (up to $10,000) to the Adopt-A-Soldier Platoon. Select products from Dove, Lipton, Klondike, St. Ives, Hellmann’s/Best Foods, TRESemmé, Vaseline, Simple, and Ponds will be on display. Promotion runs Oct. 7-20.
- Kraft Heinz Big Game Fan Feast. The Kraft Heinz Company is offering $3-$5 coupons on many of their top brands to commissaries worldwide. Customers can find more information on these offers and recipes featured through in-store displays. Participating brands/products include Heinz ketchup, mustard, and pickles; Grey Poupon mustard; A1 and Heinz 57 steak sauces; Bagel Bites; Delimex; TGI Friday’s frozen entrees; Kraft natural cheese, grated parmesan, singles, dinners, Kraft Mayo, Miracle Whip, Taco Bell products, Philadelphia cream cheese; Oscar Mayer cold cuts, hot dogs and bacon; Lunchables lunch combos; Velveeta loafs and slices; Maxwell House coffee and Planters nuts. Displays run Oct. 7-20.
- 23rd Annual Italian and American Festival of Savings. Commissary customers will find savings on products from food brands, including Hellmann’s/Best Foods, Tazo, Lipton, Knorr, Magnum, Talenti and Breyers, and personal care brands, including Vaseline, Q-tips, TRESemmé and Seventh Generation, as part of Unilever’s 23rd annual Italian and American Festival of Savings. Promotion runs Oct. 7-20.
- Kellogg’s Cheez-It® 2019 Bowl. Text to win sweepstakes. Enter to win a trip to the 2019 Cheez-It® Bowl in Phoenix, Arizona. One grand prize winner and three guests will win airfare, hotel accommodations for three nights, and tickets to the bowl game. Look for in-store displays for details on how to enter and win. Sweepstakes run Oct. 21-Nov. 3.
- Kellogg’s Crystal K. Kellogg’s will provide 150,000 military-specific, in-store coupon flyers; save $2 off fruit or milk with the purchase of any two Special K products. Ends Oct. 6.
- Monster Jam Celebration. Commissary customers can help their community win an on-base Monster Jam Celebration by purchasing select Proctor & Gamble products from Sept. 23 to Oct 6. Procter & Gamble, working with ProCamps, will offer a “Monster Jam” celebration for a winning base as part of P&G’s “Start Strong/Stay Strong” cause platform. Grand prize winners (three to five bases) will receive an on-base Monster Jam celebration for the entire base community. There will be no charge to military families to attend. The event will include a Monster truck and driver, and Monster Jam activity stations. Activities can include: coloring station, temporary tattoo station, sand pit for kids to play with toy monster trucks, balloon tying, and face painting to list a few. Check your local commissary for details. Purchase window ends Oct. 6.
- Taco Night. Receive a dollar off when you buy two Taco Bell items. Coupons are located in the store. Promotion ends Oct 6.
About DeCA: The Defense Commissary Agency operates a worldwide chain of commissaries providing groceries to military personnel, retirees and their families in a safe and secure shopping environment. Commissaries provide a military benefit, saving authorized patrons thousands of dollars annually on their purchases compared to similar products at commercial retailers. The discounted prices include a 5-percent surcharge, which covers the costs of building new commissaries and modernizing existing ones. A core military family support element, and a valued part of military pay and benefits, commissaries contribute to family readiness, enhance the quality of life for America’s military and their families, and help recruit and retain the best and brightest men and women to serve their country.