Alsum Farms recalls red, yellow and white onions over Salmonella concerns
Alsum Farms & Produce, Inc. is voluntarily recalling red, yellow and white onions shipped between July 13 and Aug. 18, imported from Chihuahua, Mexico, because they may be contaminated with Salmonella, according to a Department of Defense All Food and Drug Activity message sent Nov. 15.
Salmonella can be potentially life-threatening, especially to infants, older people, pregnant women and people with weakened immune systems. It can cause salmonellosis, one of the most common bacterial foodborne illnesses. Salmonella’s most common symptoms are diarrhea, abdominal cramps and fever. Salmonella’s symptoms usually develop between eight to 72 hours after consumption of the contaminated food and last about four to seven days.
The Defense Commissary Agency has publicized this recall to all its stores, said Richard Stith, chief, public health division, DeCA headquarters at Fort Lee, Virginia. Whenever a commissary has recalled or withdrawn products in its inventory, they are immediately removed from store shelves.
The following products labeled “Produce of Mexico” are affected by this recall:
- Alsum Farms & Product whole yellow onions, 3 lb bag: Lot codes 049008, 099008, 109008, 119008, and 149007
- Alsum Farms & Product whole yellow onions, 5 lb bag: Lot codes 099008, 109008, and 119008
- Alsum Farms & Product whole white onions, 2 lb bag: Lot code 169008
- Alsum Farms & Product whole red onions, 2 lb bag: Lot codes 039008, 099008, 109008, 139007, and 139008
- Alsum Farms & Product whole yellow onions, 50 lb carton
No illnesses have been reported. The affected onions are beyond the typical shelf life of fresh summer onions; however, customers who have these onions on hand or have used them as a dish ingredient should not consume them. Customers should return this product to the commissary of purchase for a full refund.
Consumers with questions may contact Alsum Farms & Produce at (800) 236-5127, extension 6703, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. CT.